Wednesday, January 03, 2007

2006 In Review: African Business & Blogging

2006 was quite a year, wasn't it?

Both for myself and for Africa's business climate as a whole. As for me, the year 2006 did provide it's share of ups and downs. However, all and all...I'd have to say that the ups far outweighed my downs. For starters, 2006 was the year that I decided to stop waiting...and that now is the best time to make a serious effort to promote business in Africa. Up until 2006, my plan was to wait until after all of my other goals were already in place and then start an organization to do something in Africa. Now, that that my goals have been re-prioritized everything just seems so much clearer. Then there is the blogging, prior to November 2006 if anyone had asked me what is a blog, they may as well have been asking my 4 year old daughter. But now blogging is so much a part of my everyday life that it is almost impossible for me to go one day without doing something that relates to blogging.

Anyway, to make a long story short I figured it would be really cool to summarize a few of blogs that helped me in many different ways in 2006.

These blogs inspired me in 2006 (as it relates to Africa or Business in Africa, in no particular order)


As far as business news from Africa in 2006, the topic that provoked the most thought in me was the China Africa Summit. From the looks of it I would say that this Summit had a lot of bloggers thinking hard in 2006. Prior to the summit the news story called, "Africa Open for Business" was a major turning point for me, as well.

Now, we that we are in 2007 let me just say, I am happy to be here! No deep soliloquy's here in what 2007 will hold in store-just my hope that I can be a catalyst and help business people outside of Africa to realize what they could be missing out on.


Of course, I love your comments. But, if you can't comment at this particular time- but would like to let us know that you were here; please sign and View my guestbook

5 comments:

BRE said...

Dear Benin Mwangi,

It is so nice to have you with us here in the Africa sector of the blogosphere and thank you for your kind words re: inspiration. We must continue to work hard in 2007 to inspire one another and our readers. You and other bloggers who are focusing on business opportunities and business challenges in Africa are very, very important to "African Business & Blogging". You are the pioneers that your 4-year old daughter will read about some day.

Stick with your interests to start a new business venture in Africa, and stick with us here online to keep us up-to-date. Checkout the next post staged over at my place due out by Jan 9th (tomorrow) as it deals with nation branding campaigns (country image branding) for countries in sub-Saharan Africa.

God Bless and Good Luck to you and your family in the New Year 2007. This IS Africa's Century to escape the chains that have been holding her back for so long. Freedom!

Anonymous said...

Grandiose Parlor... a source of inspiration? I'm flattered and honored! Merci!!!

I see one of the High Priest of the African blogosphere (BRE) has already contacted you. Keep him close, he's a man of uncommon wisdom. Best!

Benin said...

Black River Eagle, those are probably the nicest words that I can recall anyone ever saying to me in a long, long time. It means a lot to me. Thank you very much. I also dropped in on your blog and was very pleased to find that your latest post topic was the Africa blogosphere. I missed the CNN episode that you referenced
but was glad to see that you managed to capture all of the points on your site and what a coincidence it was about Africa's business climate. Before this goes on for too long, let me just
say how happy I am to be part of the Africa blogosphere that you described. I hope to speak again.

Imnakoya, yes you, you are a big source of inspiration to me and I count myself fortunate to have a continuing dialogue with you. You are welcome. Also, I saw your recent post on Nigeria and plan to come contribute, as soon as my time loosens up. Otherwise, take care and I am sure that we will be in touch...

Salt Merchant said...

Benin,

Thanks for the honorable mention. You inspire me to keep writing.

Best wishes for 2007.

Benin said...

Salt Merchant, I am happy to be an inspiration...by all means keep on writing! I do know what you mean, sometimes though, but the message has to get out there, let's make it happen!

Google
 

africa search